This vacancy is for an Apprenticeship horticultural position – gardening / grounds maintenance etc. You should also have an interest in conservation. You will work alongside our head gardener Lee.
We do pay a living wage, and this may well suit a person who wishes to change career and have job security, a regular income and pension scheme etc
Based in a natural cemetery near Capel Manor, Enfield: we are planting/creating a native woodland, hedgerows and a meadow with naturalised bulbs.
We also work in our sister cemetery where we maintain a memorial garden, amenity landscape beds and the biblical shrub beds.
NB we don’t expect our apprentice to either dig graves or deal with any aspect of funerals except possibly with directing car parking. If asked questions either if they can deal with them answer or direct these to other staff.
Key responsibilities include:
- Grass cutting and mowing to all forms of grass and lawn areas
- Planting and maintaining beds
- Hedgerows and shrubberies
- Minor tree pruning
- Hedge cutting
- Grounds maintenance
- Nature conservation
- Weed control
- Gritting and snow clearance
- Maintenance and inspections
- Helping to mark out plans (under supervision at first)
- Ordering and purchasing of plants when necessary
- Helping our volunteers with placement of plants and bulbs several times a year
We work with a range of areas in the cemeteries to ensure that they are properly maintained and fulfil their role for visitors and provide an atmosphere where people can feel calm and that their loved ones are at peace. We are also restoring the area to woodland so that it is an opportunity to learn more about conservation and British native plants.