The Jewish Joint Burial Society (JJBS) arranges and contributes to the costs of funerals for some 17,000 individuals, who are members of its 39 affiliated Reform, Masorti, Liberal and independent synagogues. The Society is managed by a professional staff but governed by volunteer honorary officers and a Board of Governors representing the member synagogues and is currently seeking a Deputy Honorary Actuary.
The present Honorary Actuary accepted the position in the early 1990s, and would welcome any assistance that could be provided by a fellow actuary – who would act, initially, as his deputy. It is hoped that the deputy would, in due course, accept full responsibility for the actuarial function on the retirement of the incumbent.
The Honorary Actuary’s duties include:
• Reviewing the actuarial basis;
• Performing the annual actuarial valuation;
• Checking that the mortality and expenses assumptions are consistent with the actuarial basis;
• Assisting the Board of Governors in the selection of investment managers and in reviewing investment performance;
• Advising the Board on the appropriate level of the per capita fees – which are reviewed annually.
The Honorary Deputy Actuary attend four formal meetings of the Governors per year, four sub-committee meetings per year and other meetings from time to time.
If you are interested in the position or would like further information, please contact the Chairman, David Leibling at email@example.com or call 020 8866 6535