What is our Position on Israel?
- We are unequivocally Zionist. We have a non-negotiable commitment to the State of Israel and its security. We believe that the pursuit of peace is the highest ideal and priority. We are deeply committed to democracy; human rights and social justice; and religious pluralism.
- We are committed to two viable states as the only just and realistic solution to the present situation.
- We believe that Israel should be a Jewish state and a state for all its citizens.
- We believe that exponents of moderate, liberal Judaism should ally with moderate, liberal secularists and work together to combat both religious and secular extremism.
Support and Engagement
The Movement supports organisations dedicated to building bridges - both between Israeli Jews and Israeli Arabs and between Israeli Jews and Palestinians on the West Bank and in Gaza.
All we can do is to support the people of goodwill, those dedicated to relief of suffering and those dedicated to building relationships of trust across the divide. Whilst much is outside our hands, small gestures of caring and support are always possible.
Please follow up on the work of the organisations listed below in the way that most resonates with you. And if there is no organisation here that does the trick for you, contact us and we will try to find an organisation that meets your needs and expresses your ideals.
Organisations whose work we support:
- Abraham Fund Initiatives
- British Friends of Merchavim
- Center for Jewish-Arab Economic Development
- Israel-Palestine Center for Research and Information
- The Leo Baeck Education Center
- New Israel Fund
- Parents Circle - Families Forum
- Rabbis for Human Rights
- The UK Task Force on Issues Facing Arab citizens of Israel
- Women of the Wall
Partner organisations and sources of further information:
- Sign up for the BICOM daily brief.The newsletters are specific to the situation in Israel and cover the ongoing political developments.
- Visit Israel. Go and see things for yourself and engage in a way that is meaningful for you. RSY-Netzer's summer Israel Tour is an excellent opportunity for young people to experience Israel, and for those who are a little older, please be in touch if you would like to be pointed in the direction of further resources and information.
- Read more and attend events. Closer to Israel is the umbrella for a programme of year-round grass roots activities to bring the British and Jewish communities closer to Israel. You can keep up to date with events in our communities with our calendar or by signing up to the Movement Update.